Sunday, April 7, 2013

Urban Chicken Experiment - Day 1 - Meet the Chickens

Saturday, April 6, 2013

We got our chickens yesterday evening, and we got them settled in their new home.  Although last night they weren't quite sure where to go to roost.  Our hen house is three feet above the ground and their run with a ramp up to the house.  They climbed about half way up the ramp and stopped to roost there.  So, I had to encourage them the rest of the way in to the hen house. 

I opened the hen house door this morning, and they were a little unsure of what to do.  Again I had to encourage them a little to find their way out.  So, I went to the opposite side of the hen house and reached through the nesting boxes to point the way out.  They stopped at the door, but one was out of the door at the top of the ramp.  So, I watched and waited, and after a few minutes, the Americana jumped down, and shortly thereafter the others joined her.

Overall, they seem to be doing quite well.  They have good appetites and eat constantly.  I think that is a good sign.

The following is a short introduction video, which I hope you enjoy:


 
This evening when I went to close the hen house, the girls had found their way up the ramp and were settled on the roosting bars.  They seem to be quick learners.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you ignored my "NO!". This has been a great project for you and the boys. I must admit the chickens are fun to watch. Good luck with your experiment. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the chickens have names yet ? It would be nice to see you do a piece about each chicken and their personality. A good chicken name is Henrietta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has any of your chickens crossed the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to get to the other side?

      Delete
    2. My chickens aren't allowed to play in the street.

      Delete