Thursday, April 11, 2013

Are They Getting Bigger Yet?


It's day six and the pullets are doing well. They have almost completely picked through the first batch of grass clippings that I put in their coop. It's hard to tell because I see them every day, but they look like they have grown since we got them.

We had some rain overnight and the temperatures will be cooler over the next few days, so I am taking some preventive measures. I have added extra garlic to their water to boost their general health, and I will add some apple cider vinegar to their water for the next few days after the rain, which is supposed to help with parasites.

I am starting to see some of their individual personalities. For example, the Leghorn is somewhat dominant. She will chase the other birds away from the spot in which she wants to be. The Americana is a little sneaky. While watching them scratch around yesterday evening, the Leghorn uncovered an earthworm, and before she could get it, the Americana ran in and grabbed it. The two Barred Rocks tend to stay together as if they know they are different breeds.

All of them seem to be very comfortable in the coop. They also seemed to recognize me and are getting more comfortable with me, as they do not run from me.

They are very curious birds as well. If I put a new or different container in the coop, all of them will immediately begin investigating it. I am not sure if their eye sight or sense of smell, but if I bring food into the coop, they are all over it before I can get out.

The following are some pictures from last weekend:




No comments:

Post a Comment