Monday, April 1, 2013

Hatching the Idea


“So… Can I get some chickens?” I asked. “No!” was her response. That’s how it all started about a week ago.  It was an email exchange between my wife and me.  I had forwarded a blog post from the artofmanliness.com about raising backyard chickens.  I was joking at first, but also I was a little serious.  As the idea had some time to incubate, I quickly grew more serious about wanting to get some chickens.

A few days later, after doing a little research about chickens and building chickens coops, I bought some building materials and began constructing a chicken coop from a design idea in my head.  I had no plans or drawings.  All I had was an image in my mind based on designs I had seen online. With the help of my three sons, we have made great progress, and the coop should be finished later this week.  By the weekend, we will have four young pullets in the coop, and in a couple of months we should have some fresh eggs from our backyard chickens.
All of this is really an experiment, as I have never raised chickens.  So, I thought it would be fun to keep a blog about the experience.

2 comments:

  1. You know not to long ago I asked if I could get some chickens after visiting theurbanfarmingguys.com. I got the same response.

    ReplyDelete