Sunday, April 21, 2013

Coop Enhancements

Well, I have had my chickens for just over two weeks, and they are doing well.  They are growing and seem bigger every day.

This weekend I made a couple of enhancements to the chicken coop.  The first change was to the watering system for the chickens.  I was using a two gallon galvanized double wall waterer.  This waterer did the job, but my hens kept scratching dirt and grass into their water.  I was having to clean it out twice a day to keep their water clean.  I tried to elevate the container, but within a short time it was always full of grass and dirt.  So, I installed a gravity feed system that uses nipples to deliver the water, and the girls seem to like it.

The second modification was to their feeder.  I installed their feeder under the hen house to make sure the feed stays dry in the event of rain, and it has worked quite well.  However, to refill the feeder required going into the coop.  To avoid stepping into poop, I wanted a way to refilled the feeder without going into the coop.  Using some PVC pipe, I was able to come up with a way to refill their feeder much more conveniently.

Check out the video which shows these enhancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment