Friday, August 2, 2013

Let the Fun Begin

I am on my way to expanding my backyard flock. This morning I picked up my new chicks at the post office and moved them into their new home.  They have quickly settled in to the brooder, and I am already noticing interesting chicken behaviors.  They are very active little creatures, and there seems to be a pecking order developing. 

They are quite fun to watch as they are running around as fast as possible one moment, and the next moment they are falling asleep.  When one starts to run, several others do the same.  It is as if they think the first one knows something, and the others want to find out what the something is.

The following video shows everything I did with them today.  It is a bit long, but I wanted to show the first day from start to finish.  It can be summarized as follows:

  1. Wake up to an early morning phone call from the post office notifying me that the chicks have arrived (approx. 1 minute)
  2. Opening the box of chicks (approx. 1 minute)
  3. Placing the chicks one by one into the brooder and showing them where to find the water (approx. 4 minutes)
  4. Watching the chicks to see how they are doing and making sure they are okay (approx. 1.5 minutes)
  5. Ending the day showing how the chicks have settled into their new home (approx. 1 minute)
Enjoy the video!



No comments:

Post a Comment