Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Experiment Continues

As I indicated in my previous post, I have had a couple of set backs and slow downs.  However, I intend to continue my urban chicken experiment.  I will be expanding my chicken coop to accommodate more chickens.  Additionally, I will be starting with some day old chicks from a mail order hatchery.

I am planning this out a little bit more than my initial chick acquisition.  With the day old chicks, I have to have everything in order and ready to go before they arrive.

For the first eight weeks, the chicks will live in my garage.  Their home will be a hard plastic, children's swimming pool (I purchased one for $14.85 plus tax).  I also got some feeders and waterers, as well as a stand for the brooder light.

I am in the process of setting up everything, and I have placed my chick order.  I purchased five Barred Rocks and five Rhode Island Reds.

In regards to egg production, my Barred Rock has laid five eggs in the past seven days.  I am still waiting on the Americana to start laying, but I am extremely happy to finally have fresh eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment